Momtastrophe or Momtastic

Friday, November 15, 2013

Dual Dinner Part 1: Mommy's Meat Sauce

My goal is to have a  nutritious dinner on the table every night. With 2 children under 3 years old, a full time desk job, a Dog Treat Company, Personal Training Clients and sharing my favorite nutrition supplements my time is at a premium. In order to make sure I meet my goal I plan our dinners a month in advance. I also try to create recipes that can be used for more than one meal. I like to call them "Dual Dinners". This dual dinner starts off as a meat sauce and then the next night the left overs are transformed into chili (which I will give you the details on in a future post)!

Mommy's Meat Sauce:
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
32 oz tomato sauce
1 can chopped/diced tomato
2 bay leaves
2 tbs italian seasoning
1/2 cup chicken stock
1.25 lbs bison
1 tbs olive oil


Start by putting 1 tbs of olive oil in a pan and put on medium heat. Then put onions in to saute. While the onions are sweating, combine the tomato sauce (I like Classico, tomato basil because they don't add any sugar), diced onion, bay leaves and seasoning in a large pot. Pour the chicken stock into the tomato sauce jar and shake (this will help get all of the remaining sauce out of the jar) then pour it into the pot.

Once the onions start to turn golden add your chopped garlic to the pan and continue to saute for another few minutes. Then put the onion and garlic into the sauce and put the pot over medium heat. In the same pan you used for the onion put in your ground bison meat and brown the meat.


Once the meat is browned add it to the pot of sauce and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Then serve over pasta (brown rice pasta is a great option) and enjoy!

I love this recipe because it is 24 day challenge friendly, gluten free, and lean and clean!






No comments: